Sheninger’s (2014) six elements that drive change are “Connectedness Matters”, “ Vision”, “Value”, “Support”, “Professional Development”, “Embracement” (p.64-67). My professional experience is the military, not in education. However, I can tell you that before 2008, military networks absolutely blocked Social Media sites. Not only was there the concern that our personnel would waste their duty time checking social media, but there was a concern that they would post details of an exercise or operation on the Internet thus violating what we call Operations Security or OPSEC. However, in approximately 2010, the military reversed the policy. OPSEC training encouraged personnel on what not to post, and Facebook, Twitter, and even Instagram and Flickr have become important components of communicating with Airmen, and have become integrated into our day-to-day business in how we disseminate and consume information. I have seen through this course, after creating a personal Twitter account for the first time, that I am able to have quick and easy access to emerging information on my area of interest, Higher Education. This is especially important as I near the end of by Ed.D. coursework and begin to narrow potential topics for my dissertation.
Next is vision. As our team collaborated on our vision for our technology plan in this course, we all contributed to building a statement that described the end state we wanted to achieve. Sheninger emphasizes the WHY and HOW as part of the vision. That reminds me of key element of Blind Spot: A Leader’s Guide to IT-Enabled Business Transformation (Feld, 2010),. He emphasizes both the WHY and the HOW as well. We don’t change just for the change, but because there is an associated vision guiding us.
Educators need to see the value of educational technology. Educators, even the staunch holdouts, must understand that technology can enhance the learning experience, and result in equivalent or possibly enhanced outcomes. If our schools are like the Air Force, there are still folks that believe the old methods are better, but it may be that they fear embracing educational technology. They make all of the excuses Sheninger lists in an earlier chapter. They need to see the vision.
To back the vision, they must experience the next two, Support and Professional Development. My experience is that some show more aptitude toward technology than others. And within those who adopt technology more easily, there are those who are more creative and better innovators who can adapt their teaching and lessons to technology. This is where Professional Development comes into play. Those who are better at it can teach the rest of us! However, for education technology to become fully adopted and transform education, it has to be present in the classroom. Educational leaders have to effectively outfit classrooms with technology and support that technology. The ubiquity of technology is what will continue to fuel innovation in its use.
The last of the six is Embracement, in contrast with buy-in. Buy-in is the more limited stick-and-carrot approach that Shinenger emphasizes as a non-winning strategy. Instead of the extrinsic stick-and-carrot approach, educators need “intrinsic motivation” (p. 40). If as leaders we simply try to sell our teachers on technology or reward its use, then the innovation that is needed will not occur. Instead, people must reach their own conclusion through evidence and experience, thus be motivated internally to embrace the technology.
References
Feld, C. (2010). Blind spot: A leader's guide to IT-enabled business transformation. United States: Olive Press.
Sheninger, E. (2014). Digital leadership: Changing paradigms for changing times. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
Great blog post! I agree with you that the motivation for technology into the classroom must be intrinsic, but there are times you have to start with extrinsic motivation. Starting with a carrot and stick will get some people moving, but then encouraging people to explore and be supportive of the journey is just as important for moving from extrinsic to intrinsic motivators.
ReplyDeleteThere are times when the teacher is motivated but the administrators do not support them, which then discourages intrinsic motivation. I have a lot of intrinsic motivation to add technology to my classroom, yet during my student teaching I wasn’t allowed to fully integrate the interactive whiteboard into my classroom activities because of fear I would “break” it. The next site kept offering the wrong type of training (Chromebooks that I had are not the same as iPads). And I finally enjoyed support from my administrators at my last site. This year I know I am going to get even more tech support, since they have a solid plan in place; I am hoping that holds true for my professional development as well.
As you mentioned, many social media sites were blocked by the military until six years ago. The same is true for many schools. Five years ago I was a substitute in a school that not only blocked all social media, but also YouTube and Vimeo. I couldn’t get onto some of my favorite science blogs, and that was frustrating when I was doing research. Even then, I couldn't imagine not having access to the resources I have found on those sites. The teachers in the school had to constantly ask to unblock those sites for teachers, since there are great channels, to include PBS, Discovery, Bozemann Science, and others that are school appropriate, and much easier to navigate (and higher quality) than TeacherTube. I hope that things have changed for them.
Gary!
ReplyDeleteYou made a great point in your post this week about change in the use and dependence of technology within the past 5 years for instance in the military. (it's so true!)One of my biggest realizations is the How its used piece which Schenegier discussed through this chapter. Whitehead, Jensen, & Boschee mentioned in chapter five about the culture of technology that "sometimes school administrators get too focused on the "tools" of technology and will miss out on the essence of the 21st century learning" (Whitehead, Jensen, & Boschee, 2013). which also eludes to the staff, "buy in". I personally find it innovating and interesting to manipulate and learn about new technology resources available to us educators but I would like to also know the how and purpose part as well!
Reference
Whitehead, Jensen, & Boschee, 2013.Planning for Technology. SAGE, Corwin.
Hi Gary,
ReplyDeleteI really appreciated your post this week. It was great to see how Shenningers 6 elements that drive change can be implemented outside of traditional education communities. I run a small non profit organization and I have spent much of the week contemplating how these elements of change apply for successful growth within the organization as well. It seems to me that most organizations become learning communities to some degree and make Shenninger's elements quite applicable. Thanks again.